Louise Reyneke Properties


See follow-up articles for more in-depth discussions on each certificate or contact us.

1. Electrical Certificate: valid for a period of two years

It is compulsory to be in possession of a Electrical Certificate of Compliance (ECOC) when selling your home as regulated by the Occupational Health & Safety Act, 1993 read with the Electrical Installations Regulations 2009 (as amended from time to time) and verifies that the electrical work and installations on the property are safe and up to standard as required by the South African National Standards.

The certificate covers distribution boards, wiring, earthing and bonding of all metal components (including antennae and satellite dishes), as well as wall sockets, light switches and the isolators of fixed appliances.

It does not cover fixed appliances like geysers, stoves, motors, fans, under-floor heating. However, we advise that you ask your electrician to inspect the geyser to cover potential defects.

2. Electrical Fence System Compliance Certificate:  valid for a period of two years

This is a compulsory certificate and separate from the electrical certificate since it falls under the provisions of a separate set of regulations: The Electrical Machinery Regulations of 2011 (also issued under the Occupational Health and Safety Amendment Act, No. 181 of 1993.).

The system has to be certified by an approved installer.

3. Certificate of Compliance of Water installation: valid for a period of 6 months.

This certificate is Compulsory for all properties situated within the City of Cape Town’s municipal area as regulated by the City’s Water By-law which came into effect in 2010. It requires you to be in possession of a Certificate of Compliance of Water Installation.

It is designed to limit water wastage and to protect buyers from latent defect claims and high water bills due to leakages.

Amongst others, the certification covers

  • the water meter (does it start registering when a tap is open and stop completely when all taps are closed?);
  • the correct installation of water cylinders;
  • the correct discharge of storm water (which should not discharge into the sewerage system)
  • ensure the potable water supply is completely separate from any grey water or groundwater systems.

Bear in mind that a water installation certificate is not a plumbing certificate - it does not cover all aspects of the home’s plumbing or leaks from waste or sewer water or drainage.

4. Gas compliance: valid for a period of five years - new certificate required on each transfer

The Gas Compliance Conformity Certificate is compulsory should your home be fitted with gas appliances to comply with the Pressure Equipment Regulations of the Occupational Health and Safety Amendment Act (the regulations came into effect on 1 October 2009).

It certifies that your gas installation is in a safe, working condition, that emergency shut-off valves have been correctly installed, and that the system is free of leaks.

5. Beetle certificate: Valid for a period of 6 months

The beetle certificate has become standard practice especially in houses with wooden floors, doors and windows. It is often a condition written into the sale agreement in older homes or coastal areas. It is usually not required for sectional title properties or properties situated inland where beetle and woodborer problems are less common.

However, many banks and insurance companies will require a beetle clearance certificate when a property is transferred to a new owner.

6. Small Scale Embedded Generation (SSEG) installation - solar photovoltaic

You are required to apply for authorisation from the City before installing an embedded generation system such as a rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV). This Certificate should have been issued by the installer and can be transferred to the new home owner.

The authorisation process applies to small-scale embedded generation (SSEG) systems with a generation capacity smaller than 1 mega-volt ampere (MVA) and embedded generation (EG) systems with a generation capacity of more than 1MVA and less than 100MVA in properties within the City of Cape Town electricity supply area. The most popular technology is solar (PV)

See City of Cape Town website for more detailed information:


Contact Us
Louise: +27 82 570 0202
Email: info@louisereynekeprop.co.za
Copyright © 2024 Louise Reyneke Properties | All Rights Reserved
Design & Care by ERC Design